Thursday, February 9, 2012

Running tips.

{Via we heart it}

I have a confession: I only officially worked out once this week - a 2.6 mile run on Monday.  Last week I got in two 4.5 mile runs, mostly thanks to good weather.  Good weather to me in the winter = above 35 degrees with no wind.  I'm kind of a wuss, yes.

Part of my problem is I don't have a gym membership at the moment.  I haven't been able to afford to join a nice one but I'm starting a new job next week where I will be able to.  I'm hoping I get a corporate discount of some kind.  Either way, I need motivation.  I just signed up for the Shamrock Shuffle 8k at the end of March, so that helps, but the dark and cold are still making me lazy. 

I found this article from Runner's World from 2007, 101 Kicks in the Butt.  Guess what the #1 tip is?  Create a blog.  Interesting.  ;)  Here are five tips I'm going to start out with:

8. THINK FAST. Run for 20 minutes as slowly as you want, then turn around and run home faster.

10. BLAZE A NEW PATH. GPS systems work great for mapping new routes. Or check out favoriterun.com or usatf.org/routes, which use Google Maps to let you plan and save routes.

17. PLAY IN THE STREET. Skip a dreaded track workout for a fartlek (Swedish for "speed play") session. After 10 minutes of easy jogging, run hard between two telephone poles, then slow down until you pass three. Then see if you can get to the traffic light before it changes, followed by a jog to the next mailbox.

26. HAVE A DAILY GOAL. Set goals not just for big races but also for workouts.

34. FEEL A NEED FOR SPEED. Sometimes you need the thrill of moving your legs as fast as they can go. Try six to eight 200-meter repeats at your mile race pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment