Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The challenge.

My 29th birthday is coming up in just over two months. It feels weird to approach 30; I don't feel very different than I did 10 years ago, except being stronger in my convictions about what I like and don't like, and more emotionally mature about certain things. Err, sometimes. And happy to be living in a great big city instead of a tiny town.


I have a friend with a list of "30 things to do before 30" and it made me start thinking about doing a challenge to myself for my 29th year. I have always had a complicated relationship with food and exercise; I love to eat (umm, like most people, yes) and trying new restaurants is one of my favorite things. But I allow myself to indulge too much, too often, and that has resulted in unwanted pounds piling on that I'd like to get rid of. This challenge is about more than that though, I want this to be a change - to stop feeling guilty about what I put in my mouth, to stop overeating so much on my "indulgence" days that it takes a full day for me to feel normal again.

I also want to challenge my body. I have been a runner since high school, and a racer since college - lots of 5ks, a few 10ks, and one half-marathon. But I couldn't do two "real" push-ups if you paid me. And I am slow. Maybe jogger is a better word for my skills. I want to be faster and stronger. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment